Our Mission Statement
We will help the community of Greater Sudbury adapt and work to halt changes in our local climate.
A network of organizations... united to act on climate change.
The Greater Sudbury Climate Change Consortium consists of a balanced representation of those community partners who have signed on to the Greater Sudbury Covenant for our Future on climate change action.
Members represent diverse sectors including, but not limited to, health, social, cultural, educational, industry, grassroots organizations, and municipal operations. The Consortium is expected to expand as more organizations commit to helping this community adapt to climate change.
- Engage the community in dialogue about Greater Sudbury's changed climate and the need for adaptation and mitigation.
- Identify solutions to local problems created by the effects of global climate change.
- Act to reduce, remove, and avoid the threats, risks and negative impacts of climate change in Greater Sudbury.
- Contribute to bold, innovative work that can increase the community's capacity to adapt to climate change.
- Develop and maintain a respect for nature within the consortium and community to help guide actions on climate change.
The Greater Sudbury Climate Change Consortium will:
- Work with stakeholders to identify the risks associated with existing and anticipated changes to local climate.
- Recommend adaptation measure to stakeholders, including municipal departments, to alleviate these risks.
- Advocate and guide an integrated climate change risk management plan for the Greater Sudbury community.
- Guide the development and distribution of a GIS-based map of local climate change vulnerabilities.
- Provide technical support to enhance adaptation projects currently underway.
- Improve communication about the local effects of climate change among stakeholders and the community at large.
- Approve and champion the Greater Sudbury Covenant for our Future on Climate Change Action.
- Raise public awareness about household level climate change impacts and 'backyard' adaptation methods.
- Advise and guide the activities of Consortium staff.